Toads in the Hole
Delicious meaty sausages cooked in the oven in a crispy batter.
What you need
8 good quality pork sausages
100 g flour
1 large egg
150 ml milk
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
vegetable oil (optional)
How it is done
- Heat oven to 220Âº C.
- Shift flour into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack the egg into the hole.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Begin to whisk the egg into the flour, manually or with a hand blender at low speed.
- Add the liquid a little at a time. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Arrange the sausages in a roasting tin that can go over direct heat and place them into the oven.
- Cook 8-10 minutes.
- Remove roasting tin from the oven and place it over medium heat.
- Add a little oil if the sausages have not released enough fat.
- When the fat is sizzling, pour the batter around the sausages.
- Return the roasting tin to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes more, until the sausages are done and the batter is crisp and browned.
- Serve toads in the hole straight away, very hot, with gravy.
For a lighter batter, substitute 150 ml whole milk with 100 ml semi-skimmed milk and 50 ml water.
This recipe should be enough for four people.